Friday 19 February 2016

Getting ready to dance







I posted a photo of our daughter Claire admiring her reflection in the mirror before a school formal in an earlier blog here, and a photo of my elocution teacher Yetty Landau with her beloved dog Sandy in another blog post here, so I was struggling to think of anything else that was vaguely relevant to this week's Sepia Saturday prompt. The pineapple on the makeup bench prompted me to search for photos of family visits to the Big Pineapple in Nambour Queensland but to no avail. Just as I was about to pass on this week's Sepia Saturday prompt, I came across these two photographs from December 1992, showing Claire and her fellow dance students getting ready for their annual jazz and classical dance concert. I don't remember what song it was that required this 60s style teased beehive hairstyle, but it definitely gave Claire a look of maturity well beyond her 12 years.

 I have included a small picture of the group in performance, and  I think this jazz ballet number had something to do with a hairdressing salon. Perhaps Claire will remember. It must have been first up in the show, as I know that beehive had to be rapidly brushed out for the remainder of the dance programme. We always enjoyed the performances, which were very professionally choreographed, produced and directed by the teacher Jill McHugh, who owned the Kuring-gai School of Dance and taught students jazz and modern dance as well as classical ballet. 








To finish, here is an entertaining clip of one of my favourite singers that you might enjoy - to tell you what it's about would spoil the surprise, but trust me, it is relevant to this week's prompt!




For more reflections on the prompt photograph above, showing Billie Holiday and her canine friend Mister, just take a look in the mirror that is Sepia Saturday 318.

9 comments:

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

That's a fantastic photo you found for the prompt,you could not have found better. Yes, your daughter certainly looks older with this elaborate coiffure , but she seems to be quite pleased about it.

Vicki's Blog said...

The photo really suits the prompt and I am sure brings back good memories

kathy said...

These are fantastic photos. I like the first one with the rollers. I would not have guessed your daughter was 12.

Kristin said...

She definitely looks older than 12. Perfect photo for the prompt too.

La Nightingail said...

Whoa - what an adult hairdo & a little makeup can do for a young lady of twelve! A bit scary, perhaps? :)

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

Your daughter had such head of beautiful hair. I'm sure she benefited greatly from having this performance experience. Imagine having an elocution lesson today...or maybe you still do this in
Australia?

Little Nell said...

Perfect pictures of your daughter - you came up with a winner.

Bob Scotney said...

It is hard to believe that your daughter was only 12; I wonder wher I can find a barber who is able to make me look so much younger.

Mike Brubaker said...

Full marks for you on matching the theme this weekend! Claire smiling at her self in the mirror is very sweet. Better than one of today's "selfies". The song was clever too.