Sunday 1 December 2019






A Study in Concentration 2

I haven’t blogged for close to 18 months now, sad to say, and have definitely got out of the habit of contributing regularly, mainly because I found I was lacking inspiration and also running out of photos in my family collection that I hadn’t already included in previous contributions. I was also having a few problems with blogger.com.  I was texting with Marilyn B aka Little Nell today however and then just happened to check the SS page today and thought of a good match for the topic photo that I could add. Like  most of my photos, it has been shown before, but that was back in 2014, so I don’t imagine anyone would remember it. I have used the same heading for an earlier blog too, hence the 2, but at least it was not for the same photo.
 My father Ian Cruickshank would have been around 40 or 41 at the time it was taken. Dad had discovered and chemically identified the phytoalexin which he named Pisatin in 1962. It was his main claim to fame in the scientific world. Pisatin was important in relation to the study of plant diseases, which was his area of research for almost 40 years of his working life.  I remember he would be off to the lab at all hours of the night to check on his pea experiments. He passed away in 2000, and now his granddaughter/my eldest is turning 40 early next year. Hard to believe!
Dad now has 9 great grandchildren, and no doubt would be pleased to know that youngest of them is his namesake, little Michael Ian, who is just 8 weeks old.


Here's Ian with Michael Ian's mother in 1987.

Anyway, hello to my old Sepia Saturday friends, who unlike me have not stopped blogging. You can find their contributions to this week’s topic here at Sepia Saturday 498.


7 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Welcome back to SS! I've not been regular through the years, and tend to have things that aren't exactly on topic most weeks. That photo of your dad and your (?) daughter as a baby is precious! Great to hear of your generations.

Mike Brubaker said...

I believe Auntie Miriam's rules for Sepia Saturday generously allow recycling of images. Especially if they are a perfect match and there are babies involved. We've missed you and Little Nell too!

Jofeath said...

Thanks Barbara. The baby pictured is my younger daughter, not her sister who's about to turn 40.

Jofeath said...

Thanks Mike. Maybe Little Nell will be inspired to return too.

Little Nell said...

I like the idea of your Dad checking on his pea experiments at all hours - dedication. I'm delighted to have turned you back to Sepia Saturday (by chance). I have the same problem that you stated at the head of the post, so I need to get inspired!

ScotSue said...

Good to see you back on SS! Jo. Like you I feel I have exhausted featuring my family photographs in 9 years of blogging. But I do admit I recycle them, in different contexts and have had no adverse comments. I find I am now being more selective which SS prompts I respond to. I am also,lucky in that I can call on the collection of my local heritage group. So I look forward to seeing more of your posts here.




virginiaallain said...

I look forward to more of your posts. Not having participated until this year, the pictures will all be new to me.